Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Costa Rica Day 7

Hola!

We are right into the daily grind here in Santa Maria, where we travel each day to coffee farms and take data on the productivity of the farm. Each farm we select 30 coffee plants to record the height and width, the number of trunks, and number of productive branches on each tree. Then on 5 branches on each trunk we count the number of coffee beans that are growing. We have gotten as many as 170 beans on a single branch, though I am a lot happier when I have a branch of 1…

While we count the coffee plants another team digs soil samples, estimates ground cover, and measures soil density. The soil samples basically fill a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. I have been callously avoiding soil duty but I think tomorrow is the day I will have to give in. I do have to help out cleaning the dirt though. You heard me right, we clean the dirt of all its sticks/rocks/living materials. I am pretty sure this is the job Joe Millionaire had before he got on tv… and probably what he’s doing now as well.

Anyways, in the past 3 days we have been a blast, but they are LONG days. Two of our older volunteers have had to sit out a day, one for sickness and one for injury. If this were Survivor, they would have been voted off the very next tribal council.

Some things I have come to appreciate during my trip:

Cleanliness: If you are clean right now, take a moment to appreciate it… Seriously, I have never loved being clean so much as each night we return from the farms and get to shower and change clothes. I have worn about 5 pounds of dirt back with me every night. The owner of our cabins does the laundry for whatever price we think she deserves. With the clothes I have given her, I might need to take out a small loan…

Showers that don’t electrocute you: Our shower has an extra large head attached to two electrical wires. When the water enters the head, it is electrically fried into hot water before being pushed out onto you. If you don’t see where I am going with this, let’s just say I know what 120 Volts feels like travelling through my left arm.

Flushing toilet paper: just like in Brazil, our t.p. has to go in the trash can. Imagine the possibilities. Thankfully, we do have…

Coca-Cola: A taste of America!

Anti-insect measures: I would say the insects here are about as bad as they come. In the morning, I cover myself in Deet, duct tape the ankles of my pants closed, and put my trained pet praying mantis (named Diablito- the little devil) on my shoulder. Ok, so I have not been able to train a praying mantis, but until then we have all been relying on my Benadryl anti-itch gel.

Counting in twos: Probably the greatest time saving technique in the history of mankind. Actually, my mathematical mind has really come in handy on this expedition. My roommate Tim and I have adopted the nickname of “Alpha Team” and there are no faster coffee bean counters in the world. With the others, we have developed into an incredibly efficient volunteer group and can cover double to work most groups can do.

My sister’s digital camera: Thanks to Gina who gave me the camera that has allowed me to take great photographs that I am looking forward to sharing. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring the cable to upload them. Until then, this is a photo album put up by one of the project leaders. It has some good pictures of me and the experience, and is only a small taste of what you’ll get once I can get my pictures up online! http://picasaweb.google.com/buckuwt/TarrazuEarthwatchJuly2009#5355383805154862082

Ok, so I have a feeling soil duty is ahead of me tomorrow. Once I have cleaned my hands well enough, I will write again. Until then…

1 comment:

Maria said...

Wow, I think that it a great experience and that reminds me of Cape Verde, all the farm work that I grew up doing with my parents and sisters.