Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Costa Rica Day 3

Happy Fourth of July from Costa Rica! We managed to find a parade, granted for a political candidate, so I do feel a little festive today on my first Independence Day.

Yesterday we took a guided tour to the Poa Volcano, the Vargas Coffee fields, and the Goods Factory shopping area. I am finding it odd, none of the trips were that great but I had a good time. The volcano was completely cloud covered when we reached the top (almost 8000 ft above sea level). We waited almost a half hour, staring at the white, but never got to see anything. We did hear the activity and smell the sulfur admissions though. I am still wondering why the others booked the coffee tour the day before our week long coffee field expedition starts, but it was probably the nicest part of the day. I will spare any more details for the real coffee trip.

I have had a good time being in Costa Rica. Some of the things I’ve noticed…

  • The food is great and the people are very friendly. Everyone is proud of their country (which, according to our tour guide, has the best economy in Latin America).
  • Outside our hotel within one block there is a McDonalds, Taco Bell, Burger King, and KFC. What, no Wendy’s? There are plenty of local options too but there is always a line at the American restaurants. Oh yeah, the first restaurant I saw after getting off the airplane was a Schlotsky’s. Glad my people have made it down here too…
  • I wish there was a place I could bet on the population of San Jose EXPLODING in about 2 months. This is the most pregnant women I have ever seen in my life. Didn’t Matt Dugan take a trip here about 6 months or so ago? I’m just saying…
  • The speed limit on the highway is 50 km/hr. The speed limit on mountains with twisting roads and hairpin turns and no guard rails? You guessed it: 50 km/hr.
  • In the shower today my face soap went over my nose and when I exhaled it blew a bubble that went completely over my mouth. This has nothing to do with Costa Rica but I’ve never done that before!
  • We were lucky enough to get a room with a view of the plaza outside our hotel. There is a mariachi trumpeter who plays all night at regular 5 minute intervals. In related news, I didn’t sleep much.

I have also learned about myself that I am completely unable to predict what people will be like based on their emails. The people on my trip:
Yvonne: Thought she would be a talkative, bubbly character who was over-enthusiastic about everything. She is a slightly older woman who characterizes herself as “usually silent”
Shaun: My roommate, who I thought would be an older man who I wouldn’t have much in common. He has turned out to be my age, REALLY cool, and we have had a blast rooming together.
John: I thought would be a guy my age who would be really cool and we would have a blast together. He turned out to be an older man who I don’t have anything in common with. He also has been on 22 Earthwatch trips and lets you know about it any chance he gets. [Update: John just walked by the coffee shop I am sitting at. I did not call him over]

So yeah, I was 0 for 3. 2 of my other tripmates are here too, but I hadn’t made any predictions about them. One of them is young like Shaun and I and one is old like Yvonne and John. There seems to be a clear split between the two groups. But also the other 5 people showing up today might feel split from us since we have spent the last two days together already. Of course, we are all worried John will split apart from us and vote one of us out. Sorry, sometimes I like to pretend I’m on Survivor.

Ok, so at 3 PM MT we are being picked up by the Earthwatch people. I’m looking forward to the expedition, even if it is a little work. I hopefully will have an internet feed at some point there and will write again. Until then…

1 comment:

Maria said...

I think that it's very intersting when people learn about themselves....since you felt FESTIVE I'm expecting you had a HaPpY 4th of july.