Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Costa Rica Day 1

Hello all!

I am coming to you tonight courtesy of the free 2-bar wireless servie of the Gran Hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica. I FINALLY made it in after a little mixup with Boston lightning, a missed connection, and a sleepover at JR’s apartment in Miami.

Navigating the San Jose airport was pretty easy. Customs consisted of a guy half asleep at a bag X-Ray machine and that was it. Then through the doors to a friendly cardboard cut out of a police officer greeting you into his country. Actually, he really had a speech bubble that said “If you have sex with a child under 18 years old, I will gladly take you to jail.” Thanks for the vote of confidence, I’m happy to be here too!

The taxi drive over to the hotel was uneventful, except for five or six near crashes and one nearly killed moped driver… Then to the hotel for a desperate search for a bottle of water. I don’t know what it is about travelling abroad, but my desperate craving for bottled water starts immediately when I step onto foreign soil. Survivor lies. Fire is not life- water is life.

That’s all for now. All of the Earthwatch group is very friendly and my roommate seems fun. They are a little anal about planning trips and stuff, but I need people like that because anybody who knows my travel style can tell you it is beyond laid back. I missed my zipline canopy tour but we are hitting the volcanoes tomorrow. Should be quite an adventure, as long as I don’t fall in!

I’ll be back for another note in the next couple of days. Until then…

1 comment:

Maria said...

sounds fun....just be safe
carefull when near the volcanoes...
oh,....and about the bottle water it probably because most foreigh countries are dry...LoL
:D :D :D