Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Costa Rica Day 15

Hola!

It has been 15 days now in Costa Rica and I am starting to miss the United States! I was even happy to hear Flo Rida when I was out last night… okay, I don’t miss the United States THAT much!

So I have mixed in adventure and relaxing/beach here at Tamarindo. On Monday I took my first ever surf lesson. It was very fun, and I did not break anything so that’s a plus. Actually, I don’t really see how its possible to get hurt where I was, the waves weren’t so big and there are no rocks. I did, however, underestimate how physically demanding surfing is! There is a reason all the professionals are ripped to shreds! I barely made it two hours! I did get up on a few waves though so I would have to say I did a pretty good job. And my knees are scraped to pieces to prove it.

Tuesday was a relaxing day. Then yesterday was my zip-line canopy tour (which I missed out on in San Jose). That was a BLAST! I found the right one too because the guys running this one have a good time with it- they joke with you and shake the cables and such. They also took some good pictures- coming to a facebook profile picture near you…

So today is again a relaxing day. I plan on hitting the beach for a good couple hours and finishing the book I have been reading. Also my favorite entertainment staffer is getting a volleyball game together. So in other words, life is pretty easy right now. By the way, if any Costa Rican women challenge you to Bocce, RUN. The entertainment staffer I played against was a ringer. She acted all innocent until the game started, then she was out for blood. Thank god the only thing I put on the line was my passport.

Each night the same entertainment staff puts on a different show at the theater. I went for the first time last night for the traditional Costa Rican dancing show. It was then I realized we are on a cruise ship on land. The show was cool, though. The traditional dress is very nice, and if you haven’t guessed that I will be buying one for my nieces you just don’t know me all that well.

I have to say my favorite part of the resort has been meeting the Americans, something I would not have guessed. The Costa Ricans here are all families on vacations, but there are more Americans my age, most of which are on honeymoons. I have met couples from Tennessee, Texas, and Connecticut. The Texan family on my zip-line tour insisted I would be saying “ya’ll” by the end of the trip. I did not.

So I mentioned in passing earlier in my journal Costa Ricans don’t get along with Nicaraguans. Its more like the Costa Ricans are completely racist! On the coffee tour a while back our tour guide mentioned the Nicaraguan immigrants and how their coffee picking jobs were good for them because “you know how they are.” I met someone who said “they rape our women and steal our money.” And others just roll their eyes at the Nicaraguan employees here at our hotel. I do understand that it is ingrained in Costa Rican culture. They grow up being taught the Nicaraguans are going to steal their jobs, etc. But, in my humble opinion, the Nicaraguans are actually great! Every Nicaraguan who works at this hotel is like an Energizer Bunny. For instance, one girl bartends, washes the floors, and does all the dishes for THREE BARS each day. She works 22 straight days so she can take 5 days off at a time to return to see her family in Nicaragua, where she said the same work would only pay her $150 a month.

Hmm, a hard-working immigrant population that moves to a country to earn a better life for themselves and their families. They are willing to work harder than the native population and are more gracious while earning less. Does any of this sound familiar?

On a related note, I did meet one American student who is here trying to learn Spanish so she can join the INS in Miami. If you are planning on visiting hell, say hello to her for me. =P

Ok so this is the final journal I will write in Tamarindo. All that is left is a 2 day journey home. Plent of time to reflect on this great opportunity I have had. Until then…

No comments: