Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Brazil Day 12 (?)

So the internet problem seems to be the sun disrupts the satellite signal they use for internet here. There is a rush to use the computers at night, and if you are on the bat trip, you are already in the forest before the computers start working. But anyways, here I am with another blog

I have had so many great experiences here it is not really right to rank them, but the few that have been so amazing I think everyone should experience them are the river boat ride, horse ride, and the stars here. I have talked about the river boat ride, but it seems to be where the most wildlife is. Caymans (small crocodiles) are around so much people dont even point them out anymore! We also saw a large family of giant otters, they are probably the only animal that has tried to scare away us humans. All the rest dont even really care if a human passes by. The otters wanted to protect their nest. Yesterday the group saw a family of howler monkeys. Unfortunately I wasnt on that trip but still it was cool to hear about. Now the last thing we are all waiting for is a jaguar

I rode a horse for the first time in my life (well, for longer than ten minutes). It was a very interesting experience, and I have to admit that I ended up a little bruised by the end. =P. The horses here are extremely well trained- I think it would have walked into a tree if I had asked it to! We crossed a river and rode for a good hour. The horse trainer does not like to speak to non-native Portuguese speakers but I was able to talk to him and her was very excited to hear I spoke some. He asked how I understood and I was proud to tell him my students come from Cabo Verde (and a few from Brazil). I have learned to say this perfectly- it is probably the one thing I have told everybody Portuguese speaking here.

The stars are impossible to describe- there are more than you can possible imagine (so many that at times there seem to be smudges in the sky). Obviously there is no light out here to keep you from seeing them, so you get a beautiful view every night. Besides beautiful New England snow and water, I think the next ten most beautiful sceneries I have seen have been here in Brazil.

Two nights ago we caught thirty bats! (compared to about 5 every other night besides 16 on the first). It was so many that we were up until 3 am processing them all- at first the researchers only wanted to process one at a time because they thought it was too confusing for two people to be calling out measurements at once. I took control of the recording though and convinced them to call out two at once and I could sort it all out. In addition, I prepared the collars for the bats and collected any feces in the bags at the same time. Organizing data and multi-tasking- now thats something I can do.

Other thoughts

The lead bat researcher is named Luis Philippe. At least twice I have called him Jean Philippe because that is the name of the maitre-d on Hells Kitchen =P

We caught one vampire bat and it was crazy! The thing is way more aggressive, it shrieks and bites continuously and even licks in case there is blood. And it turned out to be a pregnant mother!

Yesterday there was an anteater walking around- they are a very funny animal. They walk around very slowly with bad vision so you can sneak right up to them. I watched him walk right into thick brush with thorns instead of going around and five minutes later he made it out the other side and walked right past my feet. Very funny animal.

Armadillos are called tatu in Portuguese. Which means they are named after the short lived Russian lesbian band T.A.T.U.

There is a tall, awkward looking bird called a Jabiru here, which definitely was the inspiration for Jar Jar Binks. Its not even in question.

Yesterday I proudly put on my Manny Ramirez Red Sox shirt and the bat researcher said Brandon I strongly recommend you change your shirt. Apparently in Brazil they have some weird lottery game where each number has an animal and number 24 is a deer and in Brazil to be a deer means you are gay. So the number 24 is associated with being gay here. (When I read your shirt, I read Ramirez gay). We all had a good laugh, and then he said no, I really recommend you change your shirt. That shirt is sadly at the bottom of my bag now.

Speaking of 24, I asked the bat researchers if they knew the tv show 24. They looked at me confused until I said Jack Bauer. Then they both exclaimed OHHH, JACK BAUER! Ill leave you on that note I probably have one or two blogs left in me. Until then

No comments: